I’ve realised over a number of years that the people I follow for an extended period of time are ALL people who:
- Hang their personality off their business in some way. They might have a brand, but they don’t hide behind it. The brand is them.
- Present the unabashed fullest expression of their current self. How they present themselves in their marketing is 95% the same as what you would get if you met up for coffee.
- Are interested in fundamentals rather than fads. Fads pass, but fundamentals stick. Fundamentals actually become more important due to the range of fads you can be distracted by.
- Have something to say beyond their direct line of work. They have their topic of course, but they can approach it with insights from multiple disciplines.
- Are good collaborators, and regularly introduce you to fascinating and unexpected people and books.
It’s a high bar, but that is where you must aim to stay in front of your customers for a long period of time.